A Family Business since 1952
The family business started way back in 1952 with the first shop “John S Montgomerie”, which was on Ruthven Street, just off Byres Road in Glasgow.
At this point carpets were mainly made 27” wide and seamed together to make a carpet surround, it was not wall to wall but instead surrounded by a linoleum perimeter. Then the shops main sales were from drapery, upholstery and beds.
The shop later moved to bigger premises on Hyndland Road, during the years here the carpet industry moved to what it is today and with carpets being made wider and now fitted wall to wall. The business evolved again away from furniture and more towards carpets.
In 1976 a decision was made to concentrate solely on flooring and a move was made to Crow Road in Broomhill, Glasgow. At this stage our main customer data base was provided from domestic premises in Glasgow’s Westend, throughout, Hyndland, Jordanhill, Anniesland, Bearsden and Milngavie, where we still serve many second and third generations of customers.
During the 80s the second Montgomerie generation joined the business and developed it to include contract work for flooring in McCarthy and Stone House Builders, followed by refurbishing contracts for Glasgow’s property factors.
Mobile Flooring Store
The Millennium brought many changes with the arrival of online shopping and the ever increasing busy life’s of the general public, the consumer demands were now more and it was therefore decided to launch our Mobile Flooring Service, in which the customer can have a home visit when it suits them to view the flooring within the area it is intended for, have the area measured and provided them with a costing for the project.
This flexible bespoke service with reliable costings and communication with the customer every step of the way has proved to be extremely successful.
Today Montgomerie Flooring is owned and ran by Garry Montgomerie and now works throughout Central Scotland.